Biscuits and Beer


We awoke to a sunny sky.  That did not last long.  I had previously had big hopes for the day, planning to head out to do some errands and then to go to the West Side Market to get some fresh fish and other groceries.  Those dreams were quickly crushed.  The snow began falling and did not stop.  Not wanting to get my little Mini stuck in the snow (as the streets were not being plowed quickly enough to keep up with the continual snow fall)...I decided to stay inside.  Not wanting to sit at the computer for the sixth day in a row, I decided to try my first Vegan recipe...I was a little hesitant but very curious to try Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits.  First, I used about a cup of mashed sweet potato. 

I mixed that well with 3 tablespoons of canola oil, 1 of cider vinegar and 1 of maple syrup.


In a separate bowl, I mixed 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 of nutmeg, 1/2 of cinnamon and just a dash of cloves.


I then mixed the two together, gently, and dropped them by the spoonful on to a sheet pan (covered in a silicon baking mat. I LOVE these- no need to use cooking spray-nothing sticks!)

Finally, after about 15 min in a 400 degree oven, they were done.  Although they smelled like pumpkin pie, I was still a bit skeptical.  Are they going to be chewy and bland?  Not at all! They were very flavorful and the perfect warm spicy snack for a snowy Saturday.  Almost just like pie... warm fresh sweet potato combined with maple-spiced sweetness.  The texture was fluffy and soft. I spread a few with fig jam and ate them immediately.

 A few hours later, after a long day of cooking, cleaning and working inside, we discovered that these biscuits were especially delicious when complimented with these amazing beers.  Ever since moving to the big beer city of Cleveland, we have become constantly on the lookout for new and interesting beers.  (We were not even beer drinkers before.)  These are two fantastic beers: Rare Vos (meaning "sly fox") by Ommegang, which is a Belgium style ale made in Cooperstown, NY; and Maudite by Unibroue in Chambly, Quebec.  Both are robust, malty, and a bit spicy on the finish.  Sweet potato biscuits and wintry beer.  One more day of snow survived.

Comments

  1. I didn't eat any biscuits. Can I put some bacon with those?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts