Thursday, December 31, 2009

Le Boeuf

In the middle of August about 1/2 of America, after the release of the film Julie and Julia, made the heavy wintry dish of Boeuf Bourguignon. While I have spent many Augusts freezing in San Francisco, I was not drawn to recreate the dish until recently... as the weather has begun to drop into the 30's. The dish was actually pretty incredible. I had researched a few different versions of it, settling on one that was a mix of two versions of Julia Child's. After finally choosing the recipe, I spent 30 minutes at the meat counter trying to choose the perfect piece (FYI: stewed beef does not need "the perfect piece"). Then, while my boyfriend was pretending to work at his computer but tensely clenching his jaw as he watched me, I made a mess of our one bedroom apartment's kitchen, but only for a few hours. And afterall it was in an attempt to concoct the perfect Boeuf Bourguignon. I might have gone a little overboard, but now it is done and it tastes fantastic. The sauce is thick, rich, salty and perfectly displaying the earthy flavors of the vegetables and the wine. The mushrooms and onions all browned properly and the meat is nicely tender. Being a chef that doesn't usually tend towards involved preparations of meat (especially stew)...this was delicious. No wonder 1/2 of America recreated it in the heat of summer. (Sorry there is no picture on this posting, I just got way too involved in the cooking--and eating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment